Traction Power Project Engineer
Tualatin, CA 99999
The Project Engineer is responsible for the production and development of contract engineering deliverables together with all other associated documentation, calculations and drawings. In this key position, you will play a vital role in the safe and timely completion of engineering deliverables to ensure projects are delivered on-time and on-budget ensuring all safety, quality and environmental requirements are met. The Project Engineer, in performing his role, will be required to work closely with the Project Manager(s) and Commercial Project Manager(s) to ensure an integrated engineering solution is presented to the Customer. This will extend to working and interfacing with our external approved suppliers and or other third parties as appropriate to produce a homogeneous solution.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Produce fully compliant Engineering designs that meet the requirements of the contract
- Implement most economical Engineering design methodology
- Act as a Requirements Contributor in the Requirements Management (RM) process
- Provide support to the Engineering team that covers cross discipline work streams to provide an integrated solution for the customer
- Ensure that any sub-contracted Engineering design work is awarded and managed in a professional, cost effective manner
- Management of interdisciplinary Engineering designs i.e. TPSS, OCS, Civils, SCADA, Telecoms etc.
- Assist with the development of Bid estimates and documentation for new opportunities
- Ensure productive and cost effective use of technical resources to achieve company targets, margins and profit
- Ensure that all Engineering designs are in accordance with the customers’ approval processes
- Understand primary interfaces, Engineering design drivers and stakeholders on projects that will influence the technical Engineering design
- Ensure sufficient resources are obtained in a timely manner to meet programme commitments
- Positively influence Engineering design and construction safety performance and aims for zero accidents
- Support the project commercial process with the Commercial Manager and ensure all Engineering design change requests are processed on time
- Produce and issue project progress and KPI reports as required
- Review project based risk registers and report on changes in commercial risk and ensure that appropriate actions are taken to eliminate or mitigate the risks
- Maintain effective communications with all project participants to ensure contract delivery
- Ensure that all project Engineering designs are compliant with all applicable standards including, but not limited to, ANSI / IEEE and NEMA standards
- Take an active role in the local coaching of junior /less experienced staff to ensure the developmental needs of both the individual and the business are met
- Develop synergy between projects to offer services to Customers that are both innovative and value for money
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analyzing problems and creating innovative solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Flexible approach to work, and ability to prioritize and manage your time effectively.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgments
- Participate in Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT, Factory Integration Testing (FIT) and Field / Site Acceptance Testing (SAT) as required.
- Willingness to travel across the USA
- Undertake lessons learnt exercises to maintain value
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering (minimum)
- Master of Science (MSc) degree in Electrical / Electronic
- Engineering (preferred)
Knowledge & Experience:
- Professional Engineer (PE) qualified in any US state (preferred)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working as a Design or Project Engineer within the Rail Electrification market
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge and experience of AC and / or DC rail electrification schemes, particularly distribution assets
- Proficient in discipline specific ANSI / IEEE and NEMA standards
- Experience within a contracting or manufacturer industry
- Proven safety management knowledge?
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Good communication and inter personal skills and be able to effectively communicate and report at all levels
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of and experience with the following Siemens products is an advantage:
- 8DA10, 8DA11 and 8DA12 Gas-insulated Switchgear (GIS)
- Sitras® TCR thyristor rectifier
- Sitras® REC diode rectifier
- Sitras® DSG DC switchgear
- Sitras® PRO DC micro-processor protection relay
- Sitras® SCD short-circuiting device
- Sitras® SCS station controller
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge and experience designing control circuitry for similar products than those listed above is an advantage
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint & Visio)
- Proficient in Solidworks Electricals or AutoCAD Electrical
- Specific Health, Safety & Environmental Responsibilities for this Post:
- Accept a personal responsibility to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts and omissions
- Take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions that could have an environmental impact
- Ensure compliance with the business procedures relative to their position
- Follow emergency procedures
- Wear approved protective clothing and use safety equipment when required by health and safety regulation
- Use all equipment provided safely - notify local management of any observed deficiencies or defects as soon as they become apparent
- Inform management of any changes in materials, plant or processes and of any new materials, plant or processes which become apparent in the course of work that may impact on safety or the environment
- Inform management of any potential items that could improve Siemens environmental performance
- Immediately inform management of any observed hazards, injuries or dangerous occurrences, which become apparent during work
- Stop work when instructed to do so and only resume or commence work when instructed it is safe to do so
- Report all safety and environmental incidents and accidents