Pittsburg, CA 94565
Blackstone Technology Group, an award winning technology consulting and talent agency, is partnering with a client located in Pittsburg, CA to identify an Electrical Engineer r to join their team.
The Electrical Engineer will be responsible for managing the clients NERC compliance program, coordinating the operational training program; managing various technical capital projects and supporting maintenance and upkeep of HVDC Converter Stations. This position will also support continuous improvement of physical asset management capabilities, undertaking assessments, gap analysis and participating in assigned tasks to enhance physical asset, service contractor and internal compliance program performance. This position reports to the Director of Engineering.
- NERC Compliance Area Program Manager - Program manager for one or more areas of the NERC compliance program. Review NERC Standards for applicability to the client as a registered Transmission Operator (TOP), Transmission Owner (TO), and Transmission Planner (TP) develop the needed processes / procedures / tests / protocols to maintain compliance; maintain detailed documentation and all other evidence needed to ensure compliance with NERC Standards. Note: Previous experience with NERC compliance desired but not essential for an applicant.
- Act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for assigned NERC Standards during the clients NERC Audits and Self Certifications.
- Ensure compliance with the clients NERC Internal Compliance Program.
- Capital Project Management - Responsible for oversight of capital projects, as assigned or developed, to ensure compliance to the terms and conditions of the contract, act as the clients subject matter expert, ensure the schedule and agreed budget/costs are maintained and monitor contractor performance.
- Training Support - Develop, maintain, and enhance the operational training program. Aid management in the development and execution of annual training plans. Track compliance related training requirements.
- HVDC Engineering Analysis – Perform engineering analysis of faults, alarms related to the HVDC system operation to include detailed reviews of the Transient Fault Recording (TFR), System Error Recorder (SER) and other alarms to determine if there any impact to the reliability or operation of the client’ s system. Perform trend analysis of events and perform Root Cause Analysis (RCA) as needed or required.
- Vendor Management – Manage vendor contracts to include development of General Service Agreements (GSA), Scopes of Work (SOW) and bid packages. Manage vendor performance after contract to include review and recommending approval of invoices.
- Qualify as a NERC Transmission Operator on the HVDC system – Qualify as NERC System Operator and perform the functions of a HVDC System Operator.
- On Call Engineer – Participate in the On Call Engineer rotation with the other engineering team members. Call out during the day, night or weekends may be required. Call-outs are rare but do occur.
- Ensures that deficiencies are handled timely to avoid business interruption.
- Creates facility status reports to establish condition benchmarks. Deliver routine equipment condition status audits.
- Conduct engineering root cause analysis assessments.
- Generate and document reports on a periodic basis to track the performance of the facility systems.
- Review site Operator procedures, practices, reports, repairs and improvements in order to ensure that compliance and budgetary commitments are met.
- Collaborate with other Operations staff to ensure the client’ s compliance with life safety, environmental, NERC, WECC, CAISO and CPUC requirements, agreements and permits. Work with the Operations staff to enhance compliance oversight, controls and audit.
- Keep current with industry best practice, maintain relationships with service vendors.
- Establish communications with, and manage facility stakeholders, socialize converter station awareness.
- Executes work in accordance with established operating and safety procedures.
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders, the site operator and its associates at all levels. Effectively resolve concerns of internal and external stakeholders and associates.
- Continuously and accurately plan, prepare, review and evaluate activities within the facility.
- Ensure operational goals are met and exceeded in the areas of safety, environmental, project reliability, NERC compliance, quality, productivity and contract measurement.
- Supports the Director of Engineering on tasks as assigned. Use skills and experience to promote the identification and solution of workplace problems and recommend operating efficiencies.
- Some business travel for training and attendance of industry events. Two days every three to four months on average with rare travel requirements for training or conferences being up to a week.
Experience / Knowledge / Qualifications Required
- STEM Bachelor’ s degree or higher, or
- 4+ years of direct operational experience with HVDC transmission systems.
- Understanding of AC and DC electrical theory and control systems functions.
- Five years of engineering operations or maintenance experience.
- Understanding asset management practices.
- Familiar with compliance enforcement and best practices.
- Possess the ability to prioritize tasks, effectively problem solve, and follow up on assigned tasks.
- Possess the ability to rapidly learn and understand a wide array of procedures and system interrelations.
- Able to contend with tasking with a degree of ambiguity to propose workable solutions and approaches.
- Familiar with continuous improvement processes and best practices.
- Understanding maintenance management systems.
- Familiar with maintenance strategies, and reliability based maintenance practices.
- Ability to conduct risk assessments and root cause analysis.
- Use of the Microsoft Office suite to include Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, and Visio to support technical writing, presentation, management, and analysis requirements.
- Ability to interface with business entities to gather requirements and facilitate meetings.
- Experience with systematic approaches to training, training development, and learning management systems.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering (Power Systems)
- Formal program/project management training/certification.
- Six Sigma training/certification
Blackstone Talent Group is a division of Blackstone Technology Group, a global IT services and solutions firm that implements technological solutions across commercial industry verticals and the US Federal Government. Blackstone’ s global talent practice was founded in 1998. Blackstone Talent Group has offices in San Francisco, Denver, Houston, Colorado Springs, and Washington, DC. We specialize in providing clients the best talent across a variety of industries and sectors.
EOE of Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabilities